Effective Date: November 23, 2010
Responsibility: Director of Education
1.0 Mandate for a Committee Established for the Naming/Renaming of a School
The trustees of the Near North District School Board, as elected representatives of their community, shall approve the official names of the new and consolidated schools or changes to existing names of school. The Director of Education shall establish a committee to make a recommendation to the Board.
2.0 Members of the Naming/Renaming School Committee
The Committee shall be comprised of the following members:
- a) two trustees, appointed by the board;
- b) on school administrator, principal or designate;
- c) one staff representative;
- d) a parent representative of the School Advisory Council, (if it is a school consolidation, one parent representative from each School Advisory Council);
- e) one Superintendent of Education
- f) one student; and
- g) one community member
The Committee will develop a process for inviting suggested names for the school from individuals or groups. The process will be submitted to in writing to the Director of Education for approval prior to commencement.
3.0 Naming a Section or Area of a School
Suggestions for naming a section or an area of the school must be brought forward to the Director of Education who will bring the suggestions forward to the Board for approval.
4.0 Criteria for Naming/Renaming of a School and/or Section of a School
The name for a school will be chosen from the following:
- a) the name of street on which the school is located;
- b) a feature of the district which the school serves;
- c) an historical name that once applied to the area;
- d) the name of a person recognized as having made a significant contribution to the community, the province, Canada or internationally, (note: permission from the person or person’s family must be obtained): and/or
- e) wording that is supportive of the Board’s mission and vision and meets the best interests of the school’s students.
Schools or sections of the school may not be named or renamed after current Board members or employees.
5.0 Approval for Naming/Renaming of Schools and Sections or Areas of Schools
The Naming/Renaming School Committee will bring a recommendation of up to three names for consideration of the Board.
The Naming/Renaming of a Section or an Area of a School will be approved by the Board.