ENGLISH AS A SECOND LANGUAGE
GET STARTED TODAY
Welcoming our English Language Learners
“This country is your country. It’s up to you to give your imagination, your talent, your view of the world. And you know what? I believe that nothing is impossible for children like you…who have courage, heart and a head brimming with ideas.” – Michaëlle Jean, Former Governor-General of Canada
Multi-Linguistic Language Learners (MLLs) or English Language Learners (ELLs) bring to Ontario schools a wide variety of life situations and understandings and a range of educational experiences. Within the safe and welcoming classroom environment, teachers are given a unique opportunity to tap the rich resource of knowledge and understandings that MLLs bring to school, and which, in turn, enrich the learning of all students in the classroom. The role of the school and the teacher is critical in supporting their identities and development as bilingual learners, and in helping MLLs shape a vision of the future in which they will take their place as Canadian citizens in a global economy.
English language learners are a richly heterogeneous group. The paths they take to acquire a new language and to adjust to their new environment are also varied and in keeping with their unique needs and experiences.
Are you an English Language Learner?
MLLs/ELLs are students whose first language is a language other than English. This includes a variety of English that is significantly different from the language of instruction in Ontario's schools.
The students may be Canadian-born or may have come from other countries. They have diverse backgrounds and school experiences with a variety of strengths and needs. Educational supports are provided to help students improve their English skills.
If you are new to the Near North District School Board and enrolling your child, you will need to register your child at your local NNDSB school. As well, it will be important to connect with the school Principal to discuss your child’s ELL needs and provide any supporting documentation.
- To determine which elementary or secondary school in the district is closest to the where students will be residing, please refer to the NNDSB Website - District Map
- To determine the contact information for specific school administration please refer to NNDSB Website - School Directory
Documentation Required for Registration:
- Proof of your child’s age - You can use their birth certificate, passport or other travel or identity documents
- Proof of address - If you don’t have an Ontario Photo ID card or Ontario Driver’s License you can provide a bank statement, utility bill, or lease that shows your name and address
- Proof of guardianship - Only needed if you are not the child’s parent
- Immunization Records - You can get a printout from their health care provider
- Report cards/school records if available
An initial assessment will take place to determine level of English language proficiency as well as math proficiency to ensure the appropriate type of instructional support required for student success.
The assessment includes an interview and task completion for:
- Listening and speaking skills
- Reading comprehension
- Writing skills
- Math knowledge and skills
Here at the NNDSB we welcome all students looking to register at one of our schools. We are happy to assist families with any questions or provide assistance needed in the process of registering students.
You can reach us at:
963 Airport Road
P.O. Box 3110 North Bay, ON
Board office reception hours:
Monday to Friday 8:30 a.m. Board office reception hours:
Monday to Friday 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
For general information or inquiries please email us at:
North Bay Multicultural Centre
North Bay and District Multicultural Centre: Settlement Program
The Newcomer's Guide to Elementary School In Ontario
The Newcomer's Guide to Secondary School In Ontario
New Moves: An Orientation Video for Newcomer Students
Dressing for Winter
First Language Resources:
Hold On to Your Home Language (English)
Ministry of Citizenship and Immigration: Language Interpreter Service