Effective Date: June 27, 2000
Responsibility: Superintendent of Business Amended: October 12, 2000
It is a requirement of the Near North District School Board that:
1.0 NEW EMPLOYEES
1.1 When hiring any employee (i.e.; teachers, custodians, educational assistants, secretaries, noon hour supervisors, volunteers, partnership and contractual agency employees etc.), Principals/Supervisors are required to inform the successful applicant that he/she must obtain a Criminal Reference Check (CRC) and Certificate of Non-Criminal Record and submit it to Human Resources (North Bay) prior to the appointment. * teaching staff - Human Resources Department in North Bay * support staff - Human Resources Department in Parry Sound
1.2 No new employees will be allowed to commence duties until satisfactory results of the CRC and Certificate of Non-Criminal Record have been submitted to the Human Resources Department. Only conditional offers of employment may be extended to successful applicants pending the outcome of the CRC and Certificate of Non-Criminal Record.
2.0 NEW CASUAL EMPLOYEES
2.1 Prior to being placed on a supply list, casual employees (i.e.; teachers, secretaries, educational assistants, custodians etc.) will be required to submit a CRC and Certificate of Non-Criminal Record to Human Resources Department. Casual employees will not be allowed to work in schools or offices until satisfactory results of the CRC and Certificate of Non-Criminal Record have been submitted.
3.0 RESULTS OF THE CRC
3.1 Where the results of the CRC and Certificate of Non-Criminal Record are satisfactory, no further action needed.
3.2 Where the results of the CRC and Certificate of Non-Criminal Record are unsatisfactory, a report is prepared by the Manager of Human Resources and forwarded to the Superintendent of Business. The applicant will not be permitted to commence work until the Superintendent of Business reviews the CRC and Certificate of Non-Criminal Record and determine what action is needed. The CRC and Certificate of Non-Criminal Record is only one of the selection processes and therefore the individual will not be automatically disqualified. The following factors should be considered before reaching a final decision:
3.2.1 The specific duties and responsibilities associated with the position applied for and the relevance of the particular criminal conviction to the position;
3.2.2 The risk posed to staff and students as a result of employing the candidate in the position;
3.2.3 The candidate’s employment record, qualifications and references;
3.2.4 The length of time since the conviction(s);
3.2.5 The nature and number of convictions; or
3.2.6 The rehabilitative and other efforts subsequently made by the candidate.
3.3 When a conditional job offer is withdrawn due to an unsatisfactory check, the candidate is advised in writing based on individual circumstances. If, due to mitigating circumstances, the conditional job offer is confirmed, a meeting will be held with the candidate for the purposes of advising the candidate of the factors considered in reaching the final selection decision. A written follow-up of this meeting will be forwarded to the successful candidate and filed in the personal employment record.
4.0 HIRING CHECKLIST FOR PRINCIPALS AND SUPERVISORS
4.1 The following checklist should be used for any new employee (i.e. teacher, custodian, secretary, noon hour supervisor, educational assistant, volunteer, partnership and contractual agency employee, etc.)
- have applicants being interviewed sign a professional reference form;
- contact and document appropriate references;
- advise successful applicant that offer of employment is conditional until a Criminal Reference Check and Certificate of Non-Criminal Record has been submitted to the Human Resources Department and is satisfactory to the Department (otherwise employment will not commence until a review has taken place by the Superintendent of Business).
- inform the successful applicant that he/she must arrange a meeting with Human Resources prior to commencement of duties.
- inform successful applicant that he/she must provide a satisfactory CRC and Certificate of Non-Criminal Record to the Human Resources Department prior to commencement of duties.
- prepare Recommendation to Hire form and attach resumé of successful applicant and fax to the Manager of Human Resources 705-472-9927.