What is the Arts Nipissing Program?
The “Arts Nipissing at West Ferris” program will provide students, that have an interest and talent in the Arts, with an opportunity to complete their high school graduation requirements, along with an opportunity to study, in-depth, one of these seven Arts disciplines:
- Visual Arts
- Vocal Music
- Culinary Arts Dramatic Arts
- Media Arts/Film and Video
- Instrumental Music
Who Can Get Involved?
✓ Any student within the Near North District School Board jurisdiction is eligible
to register in the Arts Nipissing Program.
✓ Open to any student interested in pursuing an artistic career or one who simply
appreciates the arts in their life.
✓ Students should achieve and maintain an average of 70% or greater in their
chosen arts major subject to continue in the Arts Nipissing Program.
Year One Exploration
- The emphasis during this year will be placed on student exploration.
- Grade 9 Arts Nipissing students will enrol in a minimum of ONE art course.
- At the end of Grade 9, students must choose, with the counsel of their teachers and parents, ONE of the seven arts disciplines as a MAJOR area of study.
Years 2-4: Recommendation for Placement
- The emphasis during years 2 – 4 will be placed on the development of proficiency in the declared subject major.
- In order to continue in your major in Grades 10, 11, and 12, you must achieve a minimum average of 70% in your declared major area of focus.
- If you are attending the Arts Nipissing program throughout of zone busing, and you do not maintain a 70% in your declared major, you will be asked to return to your zoned school.
- Consideration for late entry into the Arts Nipissing program will take place through an application process and/or discussion with administration and guidance personnel.
• Arts Nipissing Track
‣ 7 credits (Current Track)
‣ 5 credits (Late entry - Graduating 2022)
‣ 3 credits (Late entry - Graduating 2021)
The Arts Nipissing Certificate
- The late entry Arts Nipissing Certificate will be granted to students that have achieved a minimum of THREE or FIVE Arts Nipissing credits, including a minimum of TWO senior major/focus credits with an average of 70% or greater.
- The Arts Nipissing Certificate will be granted to students that have achieved a minimum of SEVEN Arts Nipissing credits, including FOUR senior major/focus credits with an average of 70% or greater.