Feb. 18, 2021
Dear Parents and Guardians,
Sunset Park Public School has been given the green light to reopen by the North Bay Parry Sound District Health Unit. Students and staff will return to in-person learning on Monday, Feb. 22, 2021.
Near North District School Board would like to reassure you that the school underwent an extensive cleaning by custodial staff. All student and staff areas were thoroughly disinfected during the 14-day closure.
The health unit would like to share some important updates and reminders to help you prepare your child for their return to school:
- Be sure to complete the daily COVID-19 school and childcare screening tool before coming to school:
- Staff, students and children with any new or worsening symptoms of COVID-19, even those with only one symptom, must stay home until:
- They receive a negative COVID-19 test result;
- They receive an alternative diagnosis by a health care professional; or
- It has been 10 days since their symptom onset and they are feeling better.
- All household members who are contacts of anyone who has symptoms are now required to quarantine until the person with symptoms receives a negative COVID-19 test result or an alternative diagnosis by a health care professional.
- If the person with symptoms does not have COVID-19 testing, all household contacts must quarantine for 14 days from their last contact with the symptomatic person.
- Please note that the provincial COVID-19 school and childcare screening tool will be updated to reflect these changes in the coming days.
- Pack your masks/face coverings. Students are required to wear a well-fitting mask/face covering at all times, including outdoor recess, except when eating lunch. This includes wearing a mask/face covering while waiting at the bus stop and riding the school bus.
- Pack extra masks/face coverings as they need to be changed when they become wet or dirty.
- Practice and encourage proper hand hygiene. Students should wash or sanitize hands frequently both at home and at school.
- Reinforce the importance of Physical Distancing. Students should stay at least six feet/two metres from others as much as possible.
- Continue to follow stay-at-home measures in order to keep schools as safe as possible. Stay at home except for school, work, essential shopping, outdoor exercise, or healthcare appointments. Limit contact outside of school/work to only the people you live with.
Thank you for everything that you are doing to keep our schools and communities safe. Please visit the North Bay Parry Sound District website at www.myhealthunit.ca/en/health-topics/schools-and-covid-19.asp for more information. Specific COVID-19 school-related questions can be directed to the health unit’s school call centre at 1 800 563 2808, option 6.
On behalf of NNDSB, I would like to extend a sincere thank you to our students, families, and staff of Sunset Park Public School for your patience and understanding over the past couple of weeks.
We look forward to welcoming you back on Monday!
Director of Education