North Bay High School Consolidation Programming Framework Announced
January 19, 2018 – On September 26, 2017, Trustees approved the consolidation of three North Bay secondary schools (Chippewa, West Ferris and Widdifield) into two schools with the renaming and rebranding of the West Ferris (South) and Chippewa (North) sites. Since that time staff in all three schools have collaborated to discuss how best to use this opportunity to enhance student program options.
There is much transition planning ahead which will take some time to complete. The planning of transition activities will involve student, parent and staff voice.
In the interim, the Board is pleased to share its transition programming framework.
The following programs will be fully implemented in September of 2019:
|South Site (currently West Ferris): |
· Arts Nipissing Program / S.T.E.A.M. Program (Grades 9-12),
· French Immersion Program (Grades 7-12 zoned for Sunset Park),
· Extended French Program (All North Bay area Grades 7-12), and
· English Program (Grades 7-12 zoned for West Ferris).
North Site (currently Chippewa):
· International Baccalaureate Program (Grades 9-12),
· French Immersion Program (Grades 7-12 zoned for Alliance),
· English Program (Grades 7-12 zoned for Widdifield and Chippewa), and
· W.J. Fricker English Program (Grades 7-8).
*Widdifield Secondary School will close in September 2019.
Parents of students who attend the Board’s Extended French program and the Sunset Park French Immersion program will receive an invitation to attend an information meeting in the coming weeks (Chippewa, Sunset Park and W.J. Fricker).
The Board remains committed to providing parents, students, staff and communities with relevant and timely communication. The Board thanks its stakeholders in advance for their patience to allow for the time required to develop a thoughtful and purposeful transition plan.
– 30 –
For more information, please contact:
Carrie Girard, Information Officer,
705-472-8170, extension 5010