Of course all students aiming for an OSSD are required to complete 40 hours of community service but there are several reasons to go above and beyond:
- gain experience and develop new skills
- enhance your profile for scholarships and bursaries
- meet new people
- explore career possibilities
- help worthwhile community groups
When Can I Volunteer?
All volunteer hours must be completed after school hours or on weekends or vacation. You may not earn volunteer hours during class time.
- fundraising for a registered charity or non-profit group
- assisting in a political campaign
- assisting an elderly neighbour with household chores such as snow shovelling
- coaching or tutoring
- job shadowing or co-op
- anything that is normally done by paid employees
- dangerous work such as mining or logging activities
- chores or family duties