Widdifield Secondary School Code of Conduct
Our school Principal, in consultation with the staff and school council, has established a School Code of Conduct that reflects the Provincial and Board codes. These standards of behaviour apply to students whether they are on school property, on school buses, travelling to and from school, at school-authorized events or activities, or in other circumstances that could have an impact on theschool climate.
Widdifield Secondary School is committed to:
- To ensure that all members of the school community are treated with respect and dignity.
- To promote responsible citizenship by encouraging appropriate participation in the civic life of the school community.
- To maintain an environment where conflict and difference can be addressed in a manner characterized by respectand civility.
- To encourage the use of non-violent means to resolve conflict.
- To promote the safety and well being of people in the school.
- To prevent bullying in schools.
Students must be aware that Widdifield is a place of business and is our workplace. All members of our school community are expected to dress appropriately for this workplace environment. The image that we wish to present to one another, our staff and our community is one that is both culturally responsive and one that promotes high standards. We need to be thinking of clothing that is appropriate for the TIME and the PLACE.
Clothing and accessories will be free of materials that:
- Are racist, sexist or heteronormative
- Are unlawful including, but not limited to, drugs and alcohol
- Display profanity
In compliance with the Safe Schools Act, parents are asked to call the school office at (705) 472-5711 (EXT 8028) to let us know if their child is absent from school. We have voice mail access so that messages regarding student attendance can be left after hours. If we don’t receive a call, we will contact the parents of absent children.
- Students follow the Near North District School Board Acceptable Use Policy for Computers.
- Students use the computers and technology in the school for educational purposes only.
- Students are responsible for the care of school computer equipment that they borrow or use during the day.
- Students do not use the computers for chat lines, games, or to view offensive material on the Internet that promotes discrimination, vulgarity, racial, sexist or discriminatory materials.
- Classroom use of any technology is at the teacher’s discretion.
- The school is not responsible for the loss or damage to items that a student chooses to bring from home.
- The school is not responsible for the loss or damage to items; please leave at home.
Backpacks: Students should leave their backpacks in their locker. Backpacks must not be brought to the classroom.