The NNDSB has been engaging in a wide variety of strategies and activities to improve the mental health and overall well-being of all students. Through our focus on a culture of caring we are focusing on; community partnerships, creating mentally healthy classrooms, providing social emotional programming, and building the capacity of all educators to recognize and respond to the mental health needs of our students.
Our Mental Health and Well- Being team’s actions are currently guided by our Mental Health and Well- Being Strategy 2018-2020. The Strategy is aligned with the NNDSB’s Board Improvement Plan and under the direction of School Mental Health Ontario. The First Strategic Plan 2014-2017 was developed based on a needs assessment of all schools and other relevant data from our school climate surveys.
Each year an action plan is developed based on the overarching goals.
Our Overarching Goals:
- To continue to develop cultures of caring in all schools through a commitment to student well-being strategies as the foundation for mentally healthy classrooms
- To create and communicate clear service pathways in connecting students with community and/or board services that they require
- To continue to build social emotional skill teaching into the classroom program, and actively engage in mental health promotion
- To continue to support the provision of evidenced-based programs at the school and board level
- To prioritize the capacity building of staff to identify and respond to the mental health needs of all students based on service trend analysis and other relevant data.