The Near North District School Board believes that all students have the potential to learn and that all students should progress to the best of their ability. Every effort is made to address the needs of students in a regular classroom in their community school. Some students will need a variety of program modifications and accommodations to their educational program. Other students may require more specialised educational programs and services in order to assist them to reach their full potential.
The Near North District School Board is committed to a philosophy of integration, while providing a range of options to meet the needs of exceptional students. To read more on Special Education in the Near North District School Board, please consult the Special Education Plan.
Special Education in our Board is overseen by the Special Education Advisory Committee (SEAC). SEAC makes recommendations to the Board with respect to any matter affecting the establishment, development and delivery of special education programs and services for exceptional pupils of the Board. In addition, the Committee participates in the Board’s annual review of its Special Education Plan, participates in the Board’s annual budget process as it relates to special education, reviews the financial statements of the Board as they relate to special education and provides information to parents, as requested.
Visit the SEAC Meetings and Agendas page for a list the current school year’s meeting records.
SEAC welcomes your participation and input. For more information on how to become a SEAC member, please click here.
- Sharon Walker, Chair – Email
- Sue Wilson, Principal of Special Education – Email
- Roslyn Bowness, Superintendent of Schools – Email
- Tammy Allan, Community Living North Bay
- Linda Sarginson, Almaguin Highlands Community Living
- Alan Bottomley, NNDSB Trustee
- Kim Gignac, Special Education Coordinator
- Lisa Paradis, Special Education Coordinator
- Fran Couchie/Brenda Restoule, Nipissing First Nation
- Jackie Young, Director of Education
- Alisha Matheny, Learning Disabilities Association
- Teryn Booth, HANDS the Family Help Network
- Carol Stevens, First Nations Trustee
- Wayde Smith, Community Counselling Centre of Nipissing
For more information about Special Education, please contact the Near North District School Board.