Chippewa Focus Period…
Students will have a FOCUS period 50 minutes daily attached to their subject class. The purpose of the FOCUS period is to provide time each day for students at Chippewa to “focus on success”. This period is, however, not a replacement for home study and students should still be completing the appropriate amount of homework as outlined by board guidelines. The means to achieve this success in the FOCUS period are many and varied. Occasionally, at the discretion of the Principal, the FOCUS period will be used for important school wide activities such as literacy and numeracy training, school culture presentations, and assemblies.
The Focus Period could be used, at the teacher’s discretion, for any of the following activities:
- To review student progress and have all students complete and be accountable for any missing assignments
- To provide students with extra help
- For students to complete homework or assignments
- For students to complete tests, watch videos, do group work, etc., that they missed on days they were absent
- For student-Teacher conferencing on specific projects and feedback on assessments
- Mini-lessons for groups of students who are struggling with certain concepts
- For students to do research and work on major assignments like essays
- For writing tests
- To work on students’ organizational and time management skills
- For individual students to work on enrichment activities such as labs, science fair, math contests, etc.
- For sustained, silent reading
- For the whole class to get extra time using school resources, such as the library, computer labs, etc.
- For students who are caught up on all of their assignments, to be approved, at the teacher’s discretion, in ways such as being allowed to work on homework or assignments from other courses, or being allowed to work in other areas of the school, such as the library or computer labs
In addition, students should be aware of the following:
- Teachers can schedule the FOCUS time for their class, either during the actual FOCUS period in the timetable, or in the period designated for the regular class
- Whenever possible, teachers will schedule major tests for each class on a day in which that class has a FOCUS period
- As approved by the subject teacher students will be able to attend the Student Success Center in order to receive additional support from the Student Success Teacher and the Student Success Peer Tutor