2018 Program Transitions Announced in Preparation of North Bay High School Consolidation
January 29, 2018 – The systemic capital planning implications of the September 2019 consolidation of three North Bay secondary schools (Chippewa, West Ferris and Widdifield) into two schools with the rebranding of the West Ferris (South) and Chippewa (North) sites require that some program transitions take place for the upcoming school year.
To relieve current accommodation pressures at Chippewa and in order to prepare instructional space required for the 2019 transition, the following programs will transition in September 2018:
- Current Grade 6 Sunset Park French Immersion students
- Current Grade 6 W.J. Fricker Extended French students
- Current 7-11 Chippewa Extended French students
- Current 7-11 Chippewa French Immersion students (zoned for Sunset Park).
Future opportunities will be provided for parents who were unable to attend the information session tonight.
As previously announced, the following programs will be fully implemented in September of 2019:
|South Site (currently West Ferris): |
· Arts Nipissing Program / S.T.E.A.M. Program (Grades 9-12),
· French Immersion Program (Grades 7-12 zoned for Sunset Park),
· Extended French Program (All North Bay area Grades 7-12), and
· English Program (Grades 7-12 zoned for West Ferris).
|North Site (currently Chippewa):|
· International Baccalaureate Program (Grades 9-12),
· French Immersion Program (Grades 7-12 zoned for Alliance),
· English Program (Grades 7-12 zoned for Widdifield and Chippewa), and
· W.J. Fricker English Program (Grades 7-8).
*Widdifield Secondary School will close in September 2019.
The Near North District School Board values comprehensive and supportive communication to our valued students and families. As such, parents of students who are imminently affected were invited to attend an information session at West Ferris tonight to hear first-hand from board and school staff about the 2018 transition, to learn more about ongoing transition planning and to ask related questions.
The Board is highly committed to ensuring that transitions and school environments are supportive of optimal learning conditions for all students.
– 30 –
For more information, please contact:
Carrie Girard, Information Officer
705-472-8170, extension 5010