Almaguin has updated the time-table, students will now have their 2nd period class of everyday (10:15-11:50) joined with Focus or FOSS period. The purpose of the FOSS period is to provide time each day for students at Almaguin to “focus on student success”. This period is, however, not a replacement for home study and students should still be completing the appropriate amount of homework as outlined by board guidelines. The means to achieve this success in the FOSS period are many and varied. Occasionally, at the discretion of the Principal, the FOSS period will be used for important school wide activities such as literacy and numeracy training, school culture presentations, and assemblies.
The FOSS Period could be used, at the teacher’s discretion, for any of the following activities:
- To review student progress and have all students complete and be accountable for any missing assignments
- To provide students with extra help
- For students to complete homework or assignments
- For students to complete tests, watch videos, do group work, etc., that they missed on days they were absent
- For student-teacher conferencing on specific projects and feedback on assessment
- Mini-lessons for groups of students who are struggling with certain concepts
- For students to do research and work on major assignments like essays
- For writing tests
- To work on students’ organizational and time management skills
- For individual students to work on enrichment activities such as labs, science fair, math contests, etc.
- For sustained, silent reading
- For the whole class to get extra time using school resources, such as the library, computer labs, gymnasium, hospitality kitchen, etc.
- For students who are caught up on all of their assignments, to be approved, at the teacher’s discretion, in ways such as being allowed to work on homework or assignments from other courses, or being allowed to work in other areas of the school, such as the fitness centre, library or computer labs
In addition, students should be aware of the following:
- Teachers can schedule the FOSS time for their class, either during the actual FOSS period in the timetable, or in the period designated for the regular class
- Whenever possible, teachers will schedule major tests for each class on a day in which that class has a FOSS period
- As approved by the subject teacher students will be able to attend the Student Success Center in order to receive additional support from the Student Success Teacher and/or Student Ambassadors